The First National Bank, Steinmeier Building was built in 1909 for First National Bank of Ansley in the Italian Renaissance Revival style. The 7,600-SF building is on a corner site with the south and west façades facing Main and Edmunds Streets, respectively. Originally designed as a mixed-use commercial structure, a main bearing wall divides the first level into two bays. The drugstore on the east’s finishes is extant, but the bay has been modified. However, the west bay is intact and continues to be used for its original function.
In 2010, AO was asked to assemble the National Register of Historic Places Nomination and renovate, restore, and add on to the historic building. Work on the exterior included replacement of non-original windows and doors with units that matched the historical documentation, as well as tuckpointing and cleaning of the masonry. A non-conforming façade on the east was removed and replaced with a recessed entry in keeping with the original. On the interior, the water damaged areas on the second floor were repaired and converted to a multi-purpose community space and gallery. The main floor of the east bay had been poorly renovated by a previous owner, and this work was removed and replaced with an open office space used by the bank. Period-appropriate light fixtures were installed, comparable to the originals. All work was done in accordance with the Secretary of the Interior’s Standards for Renovation of Historic Structures.
A two-story addition was constructed on the alley side to the north, adding a required egress stair for the assembly use on the second floor, as well as additional security for the bank on the main level.
The First National Bank, Steinmeier Building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2011 and renovation of the building was completed at a cost of $1,650,000.