The Wohlner’s Neighborhood Grocery building was built in 1922 and had been used continuously as a grocery store until 2009 when the owner relocated. Built by Ben Newman, the facility and store were sold to Albert Wohlner in the 1940s. Wohlner founded Independent Grocers, which went on to become The Nash Finch Company, a Fortune 500 company.
AO was hired to assemble the National Register Nomination and renovate the 6,200-SF building in compliance with the Secretary of Interior’s Standards. The building had been added onto on at least four separate occasions, with some of those additions altering or removing historical features. The front façade was recreated, based on historical research through the Douglas County Historical Society. Work included repairing pigmented structural glass and recreation of the historic sign panel. On the north façade, the non-compliant roof materials were replaced and the masonry was tuckpointed and cleaned. Additionally, the main roof had partially collapsed and the interior floor structure was modified to conform to the current International Building Code for Assembly Occupancies. Code-compliant, high-efficiency HVAC and electrical systems were also installed.
The historically-sensitive renovation was completed in 2012 at a total cost of $1.173 million and tenants now include internationally-recognized Legends Comics & Coffee and j.coco restaurant.